Complaint Handling Process for Consumers

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

What is the process for filing a complaint?

The process for filing is that:

  • all complaints need to be filed with Consumer Services in writing
  • an officer will contact the business to ask for a response
  • the officer then advises the consumer of the response 
  • the process continues until an agreement is reached or until the parties reach an impasse  
  • dispute resolutions can take place only when all parties are willing
  • the office cannot impose a settlement or guarantee the results  
  • if an agreement cannot be reached, either party may take the matter to court

Why would you choose dispute resolution or mediation?

Dispute resolution or mediation is:

  • informal
  • confidential
  • for individuals affected that are involved in finding a solution
  • used to resolve complaints more quickly than a formal process

Note: Before you contact Consumer Services, you are encouraged to try to resolve the problem.

What steps can I use to help resolve the problem?

  • put your complaint in writing
  • if it is necessary to call, keep a written log of who you spoke to, what was said, and the date and time of the conversation
  • find out exactly who should receive your complaint; a customer service manager, a store manager, or the owner of the business
  • be clear in stating the problem and how you want it to be resolved
  • stick to the facts
  • include as much information as possible about the product, such as a serial model or brand name and number and any actions you have taken so far to resolve the problem
  • include copies of receipts, warranties, repair invoices and keep the originals
  • request a reasonable time for a response
  • if you don’t receive satisfaction within a reasonable time, contact the manufacturer
  • if you still do not receive satisfaction, contact consumer services

Note: All complaints involving breaches of the consumer protection legislation administered by Consumer Services are assessed and, where appropriate, are forwarded for internal investigation or referred to a police agency for the consideration of the laying of charges.

Who can I contact for more information?

Consumer, Labour and Financial Services Divison
Shaw Building, 4th Floor
95 Rochford Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE  C1A 7N8
Telephone: (902) 368-4550
Fax: (902) 368-5283


Date de publication : 
le 3 Septembre 2015
Justice et Sécurité publique

Renseignements généraux

Consumer, Corporate and Financial Services Division
4th Floor, Shaw Building
95 Rochford Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8
Phone: (902) 368-4550
Fax: (902) 368-5283