Adult Pre-sentence Reports
What is a Pre-Sentence Report?
A Pre-Sentence Report is a report ordered by the Court and prepared by a Probation Officer which contains information on an offender’s character, education, family history, work experience, attitude, physical health, mental health, addiction issues, previous criminal record, impact on the victim, financial status, etc.. The Judge, the Crown Attorney, and your lawyer get a copy of the report. If you don't have a lawyer, you should request to obtain a copy of the report from Probation Services. The report helps the Court to arrive at a decision on sentencing.
Who can order a Pre-Sentence Report?
Crown counsel, defense counsel or an offender (if unrepresented) can make a request to the Judge to have a Pre-Sentence Report prepared. The Judge decides if the request is necessary. This request is made after a guilty plea is entered or a determination of guilt is made, and before the sentencing hearing. The Judge can also order a Pre-Sentence Report without a request from counsel.
Who prepares the Pre-Sentence Reports?
Probation Officers prepare all Pre-Sentence Reports requested by the Judge for sentencing of an offender.
What information is in a Pre-Sentence Report?
Unless otherwise specified by the court, a Pre-Sentence Report must, whenever possible, contain information on the following:
- Offenders age, maturity, character, behaviour, attitude and willingness to make amends
- Family background, community involvement, education, employment, financial status, impact on the victim, physical health, mental health, addiction issues, leisure activities, community supervision recommendations
- History of previous sentences and responses to community supervision
- History of any alternative measures used to deal with the offender, and the offender’s response to those measures
- Information on any other matter required by the court.
Is there a cost to have a Pre-Sentence Report done?
There is no cost to have a Pre-Sentence Report prepared by Probation Services.
Who can I contact for more information?
Manager, Probation Services
42 Great George Street
Telephone: (902) 368-6061