Burning Permits

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.
PLEASE NOTE: Fire season begins on March 15, 2024. Burning permits are not required for Category 1 fires (domestic brush burning); however, you must check the burn restrictions each day prior to burning. 

As of March 15, burning permits are required for Category 2, 3 and 4 fires. Please apply online, or visit your local district forestry office to apply. Additionally, for Categories 2,3 and 4, you must check the Fire Weather Index (FWI) prior to burning.

Visit the Categories of Outdoor Fires page for more information about these categories, what you are allowed to burn, and when you may burn. You may also view our Burning Permits Handout (3.7MB) for information.

How do I apply for a burn permit for Category 2,3 or 4?

Click the blue button at the bottom of this page to submit your application online, or click Burning Permit to acces the online form. You will need to have the civic address and/or the Property Identification Number(s) on hand for the requested burn location. Make sure you accept the disclaimer and acceptance statements stating that you have read and understand the requirements at the end of the application.

You can also visit any of PEI’s forestry offices from Monday to Friday during normal working hours to apply for a burning permit for category 2,3 or 4 fires. Please call ahead before arrival to ensure a staff member is on-site to assist you with your burning permit.

Forests, Fish and Wildlife Offices
Location Address Phone Number
Southampton 2580 Route 313, St. Peters 902-961-7296
J. Frank Gaudet Tree Nursery Complex 183 Upton Road, Charlottetown 902-368-4700
Beach Grove 170 Beach Grove Road, Charlottetown 902-368-4800
Wellington 40 Hackamack Road, Richmond 902-854-7260

What happens after I apply for a permit?

After applying for a permit, you will receive an email confirmation that your application was received. This is not the actual burning permit. Within two business days after applying, you will be contacted by a Forestry Service Officer to discuss your application. It's possible a site inspection will also be arranged.

Do I need a burn permit if I live in a municipality?

Many Island municipalities have their own fire regulations, so burning permits are not issued for those areas. If you want to use an outdoor fire pit or outdoor fireplace or to burn or dispose of brush or leaves in any of the communities listed below, you must contact the city, town or village government office to ensure you abide by local burning requirements.

Community Contact Information
Community General Inquiries
Souris 902-687-2157
Three Rivers (Georgetown) 902-652-2924
Three Rivers (Montague) 902-838-2528
Stratford 902-569-1995
Charlottetown 902-566-5548
Cornwall 902-566-2354
Summerside 902-432-1230
Miscouche 902-436-4962
Alberton 902-853-2720
Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique

Renseignements généraux

Division des forêts, de la pêche et de la faune
Pépinière J. Frank Gaudet 
183, chemin Upton
C.P. 2000
Charlottetown (Î.-P.-É.)  C1A 7N8

Téléphone : 902-368-6450

Urgences concernant les animaux sauvages :

Suivez-nous sur Facebook