Domestic Burning Permit: Online Application

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.
Burning permits are required for all outdoor burning on PEI during fire season, which runs from March 15 to November 30 of each year. 

You must have a Domestic Burning Permit if you intend to burn compostable debris such as grass, brush and other woody vegetation on your property. 

The permit can only be issued to the owner of the property. Once the permit is approved, the permit holder must abide by the rules, requirements and conditions for fire safety and has full responsibility for damages or costs that may arise from the fire.  For more information, read Burning Permits.  

Please complete the online form below to request a Domestic Burning Permit.

What do I need to complete the online form?

AS THE PROPERTY OWNER you will be asked to provide details:

  • Your full name, home mailing address  and contact information, including the appropriate personal  email address (permit will be issued to that address)
  • Property tax number (PID) OR
  • CIVIC address of the burning location. **Permits cannot be issued for outdoor burning within the boundaries of municipalities listed on the Burning Permits page.**
  • Local fire brigade for burning area
  • Fire region for the burning area refer to map below (Northeastern, Central Southeastern, Western). 
  • Type of debris being burned (branches, grass, leaves, tree parts or other)

Where can I find the map of fire districts in PEI?

A map showing the three fire districts in PEI. The districts are the Western District, the Central-Southeastern District and the Northeastern District

Where can I find a list of fire departments on PEI?

Please click fire departments to view a list of fire departments across Prince Edward Island.

Are provincially-issued burning permits valid in all island communities?

No. Many Island municipalities also have their own fire regulations, so provincial permits are not issued for those areas. If you want to use an outdoor fire pit or outdoor fireplace or to burn or dispose of brush or leaves in any of the communities listed below, you must contact the city, town or village government office to ensure you abide by local burning requirements.

Community  General Inquiries
Souris 902-687-2157
Three Rivers (Georgetown) 902-652-2924
Three Rivers (Montague) 902-838-2528
Stratford 902-566-1995
Charlottetown 902-566-5548
Cornwall 902-566-2354
Summerside 902-432-1230
Miscouche 902-436-4962
Alberton 902-853-2720

How will I know if my permit is approved?

Through the email address you provided you will be notified if the permit is:

  • approved
  • on hold because information is incorrect or incomplete or
  • rejected with reasons explained.

How long will it take to process my request?

Burning permit applications are reviewed Monday through Friday during regular working hours. Please allow 24 – 48 hours for a permit to be issued. 

NOTE: Even though you have a permit, before you start an outdoor fire on your property, you must ensure the weather in your area is safe for burning. CALL 1-800-237-5053 to request a burn permit activiation. The Fire Weather Index is available during burning season March 15 to November 30 each year. 
Environnement, Énergie et Action climatique

Renseignements généraux

Division des forêts, de la pêche et de la faune
Pépinière J. Frank Gaudet 
183, chemin Upton
C.P. 2000
Charlottetown (Î.-P.-É.)  C1A 7N8

Téléphone : 902-368-6450

Urgences concernant les animaux sauvages :

Suivez-nous sur Facebook