Graduate Mentorship Program - For Employers
The Graduate Mentorship Program is an employment program developed to help employers create long term employment opportunities for unemployed recent post-secondary graduates in their field of study. If you are hiring a recent post-secondary graduate who lacks the work experience necessary for the position, we can subsidize up to 50% of the wages for 52 weeks. An employer receives a temporary wage subsidy to provide mentorship and a valuable work experience for a new full time employee. At the end of the wage subsidy, the employee should be fully productive and contributing to the success of the business.
Who is Eligible to Participate?
Eligible employers include:
- Registered private sector businesses;
- Band/tribal councils;
- Public health and educational institutions.
Eligible employees must be:
- unemployed and a recent post secondary graduate within the last five years;
- looking for full time employment
- legally authorized to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident);
- Other criteria may apply.
How do I Apply?
Email a completed Graduate Mentorship Application for Employers and any supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off to your local SkillsPEI office. To assess your application we will need:
- Completed Graduate Mentorship Application for Employers;
- Detailed job description including job duties, education requirements and timelines of training activities for the new employee;
- The contact information for the new employee;
- A detailed mentorship plan; including: name and position of employee who will be mentoring the new employee, process to provide feedback, opportunities to provide training and development and a summary of how the position will benefit the graduate;
- Description of the business or company profile and the location of the activity;
- Sustainability plan to maintain the new employee following the subsidy period.
When is my Application Due?
There is no deadline for applications under the Graduate Mentorship Program as SkillsPEI accepts applications on an ongoing basis.
How does the Program Work?
Once you submit your completed application package, SkillsPEI will review your application. A Program Officer will contact you within a few days to discuss your application. Once you receive confirmation that your application has been approved for the Graduate Mentorship Program, your new employee can start work. To be eligible for funding, you must wait for this approval before your new employee begins working.
The wage rate paid to the participant must be a minimum of $15 per hour to be eligible for consideration and needs to be within the wage rate for the targeted occupation. SkillsPEI can subsidize up to 50% of the wages by making a maximum contribution of $10.00 per hour for the new employee's wages during the training period.
The Employer is responsible to cover the mandatory employment related costs including CPP and EI. The Employer also needs to ensure there is proper Worker’s Compensation coverage for the participant.
This information is a general guide for applicants. Applications received by SkillsPEI will be assessed against additional program criteria to determine eligibility.
Where can I get more Information?
Call SkillsPEI's general inquiries line at 1-877-491-4766 or visit one of the SkillsPEI offices.
Funded by the Department of Workforce, Advanced Learning and Population through the Canada-PEI labour market agreements.