Register a Non-profit Corporation in PEI
A company without share capital and with no financial gain to its members may incorporate for non-profit purposes in Prince Edward Island under the Companies Act: Part II. You can request incorporation using the online form below.
A non-profit corporation registered with the Province must renew the registration annually. The registration may be renewed online at Renew a Cooperative or Non-profit in PEI.
You are advised to seek the services of a lawyer before you request to incorporate a business entity in PEI.
How do I need to complete online form?
If your non-profit corporation intends to become a registered charity, please review the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) requirements of a charitable organization under the federal Income Tax Act before you apply to incorporate. Then once you are provincially incorporated, you may apply to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for charitable status. Apply to become a registered charity.
The application to register a non-profit corporation will include:
- Proposed name of the non-profit corporation
- Detailed contact information
- Names of officers/board members and contact information (minimum of three names required)
- Full payment of fees
- Uploaded documents including:
- Petition for incorporation (prepared by a legal professional) which will include
- the purpose for incorporation
- Location of the corporation head office in PEI
- Name, address and “calling” of each applicant
- Name of corporation first or provisional directors, minimum three
- Memorandum of agreement, signed and sealed, setting forth the bylaws of the proposed corporation including:
- conditions of membership
- operational procedures, i.e. holding meetings, quorum, voting and enacting bylaws
- appointment and removal of directors and officers, their powers and remuneration
- financial processes, i.e. audit of accounts and appointment of auditors; and
- custody of the corporate seal and certifying documents
What is the fee to register a non-profit corporation?
The initial registration fee is $180. The fee is broken down as follows:
- $125 for registration;
- $40 for name search; and
- $15 for publication.
How long will it take to process my application?
Please allow ten business days for the Registrar to complete the business name search and incorporation process.
Add a Reminder to create your own email notification which you will receive when it is time to renew.
Le gouvernement de l’Île-du-Prince-Édouard accepte les paiements en ligne faits avec Visa, MasterCard ou Interac En Ligne pour ce service.
Visitez le site web d’Interac En Ligne pour voir si votre institution financière offre ce service.