Significant Event Notification
Operators of private long-term care or community-care facilities must notify the Department of Health and Wellness within 24 hours of a significant event.
Significant-event notification must be submitted using the online form and will be the only avenue for significant event notification starting April 1, 2021.
IMPORTANT You will receive a confirmation email to the email address entered on this electronic submission form. Please retain a copy of the email as it includes your submission ID number.
What information is required on the notification?
You must provide as much information about the event as possible including:
- Name of the facility and the person submitting the report
- Date, time and location of the event
- Name of the person(s) involved
- Name(s) of staff involved
- Additional required notifications completed:
- Adult Protection
- Next of kin
- Resident(s) physician
- Type of event, such as:
- Potentially life-threatening accident or injury to resident, staff, or visitor
- Resident missing
- Death requiring a report in accordance with the Coroner’s Act
- Harm or suspected harm suffered by a vulnerable resident as a result of unlawful conduct, improper treatment or care, harassment or neglect
- Incident involving a resident that has been reported to law enforcement officers
- Prolonged disruption of supply of electrical power, heat, water, or food
- Prolonged disruption of the provision of any other basic service of the facility which interferes with the ability to give adequate care to residents
- A critical situation due to inadequate 24 hour staff coverage
- Description of the event (text box or upload field provided)
- Description of the immediate response and outcome (text box or upload field provided)
- List steps taken to mitigate risk of event recurring (text box or upload field provided).
IMPORTANT You will only be able to print a copy of the submission form for your records prior to clicking submit form.