Training PEI program was developed to assist job seekers to gain the skills and education necessary to find and maintain employment. Financial support is provided to enable a job seeker to complete a post secondary certificate or diploma program.
Who is Eligible to Participate?
If you are unemployed and lack the skills or education to find work, you are eligible to apply.
- You must be legally authorized to work in Canada (Canadian citizen or permanent resident);
- You must be out of high school for at least 1 year;
- You must have a current claim for Employment Insurance benefits; or
- You must have a previous EI claim whose benefit period ended within the previous 60 months;
- Other criteria may apply.
How do I apply?
You must meet with a case manager to complete a needs assessment and develop a Return-to-Work Action Plan. Your case manager will assist you through the application process. To assess your application SkillsPEI will need:
- Completed Training PEI Application for Funding;
- Return-to-Work Action Plan prepared by your case manager;
- SkillsPEI consent form;
- Acceptance letter from the post secondary institution;
- Proof of education.
When is my Application Due?
You must submit your application package and receive confirmation from SkillsPEI that you have been approved for the program before your course starts.
How does the Program Work?
SkillsPEI will pay up to 70% of your course costs and you will be responsible for the remainder of the course costs. You may also be eligible to receive financial support towards travel and childcare costs.
This information is a general guide for applicants. Applications received by SkillsPEI will be assessed against additional program criteria to determine eligibility.
Where can I get more Information?
Call SkillsPEI's general inquiries line at 1-877-491-4766 or visit one of the SkillsPEI offices.
Funded by the Department of Economic Growth, Tourism and Culture through the Canada-PEI labour market agreements.