Contractor (Earth-mover) Licensing Program

The Contractor Licencing Program and related certifications allow contractors to carry out high quality work in and adjacent to watercourses, wetlands and buffer zones with benefit of an expedited response time from Environment, Energy and Climate Action. 

Eligible activities include shoreline stabilization, landscaping in a buffer zone, minor bridge repairs. 

Upcoming training sessions

The next training sessions take place this March.

  • Tuesday, March 12, 2024 at the Rodd Brudenell

  • Thursday, March 14, 2024 at the Loyalist Country Inn, Summerside

  • Tuesday, March 19, 2024 at the Rodd Royalty in Charlottetown

These sessions are from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at all locations. 

The deadline for registration is Friday, February 23, 2024. Registration is by phone at 902-368-5700 or email

What is the benefit of the Contractor Licencing Program?

Earth-moving contractors who complete the Contractor Licensing Program are eligible to apply for an Activity Business License for their company and an Activity Certificate for each of their employees that have completed training. Companies that hold these licences are able to by-pass the regular process of obtaining a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit when they wish to do the following work:

  • shoreline stabilization
  • landscaping in a buffer zone
  • operation of machinery on a beach or shoreline, and 
  • minor bridge repairs

The contractor must, however, register each project with the department. Work may proceed once the department provides an acknowledgement (usually via email) that the registration form has been received. Typically, this acknowledgement is provided within 24 hours.

You can review the Construction Standards for Activity in Watercourses and Wetlands to learn more about this program.

Landowners using a licensed contractor do not have to submit an application for a Watercourse, Wetland and Buffer Zone Activity Permit.

What is the cost?

The cost of an Activity Business License is $200.  There is no HST.

The cost of an Activity Certificate is $200.  There is no HST.

Make cheques payable to the PEI Minister of Finance.

Do I have to complete the Contractor Licensing Program if I am an earth-moving contractor?

No. The Contractor Licensing Program is voluntary.

How long are Activity Business Licenses and Activity Certificates valid?

Activity Business Licenses and Activity Certificates are valid for a maximum of two years from the date of the training course. 

How long will it take to get an Activity Business License or Activity Certificate?

After you have successfully completed a training course and exam, you should allow three weeks to process your application.

What if I have missed the training session?

Training courses are offered every four years, however anyone interested in the training can pick up a Contractor Licensing Program Instructional Guide at the 4th Floor Jones and arrange to challenge the exam. You must also complete a written exam. A pass mark of 80 per cent is required.  When you have successfully completed the exam, you must apply for an Activity Business License and Activity Certificate(s). Contact department staff for additional details.

Who can I contact for more information?

Joe-Anne Dean
Telephone:  (902) 368-5700


Published date: 
February 12, 2024
Environment, Energy and Climate Action

General Inquiries

Department of Environment, Energy and Climate Action
4th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5044
Toll-free: 1-866-368-5044
Fax: 902-368-5830
Report an Environmental Concern