Installing or Replacing Culverts

The process to install or replace a culvert typically depends on the type and/or location of the adjacent parcel of land.

  1. For a driveway culvert, you must complete an entrance way application
  2. For culverts on other types of properties, as listed below, you must contact a traffic operations manager in your area, as a first step.
  • residential access where there isn’t already an approved building lot
  • farm field access along any provincial highway
  • entrance way along any provincial highway for commercial, industrial or institutional uses
  • entrance way along any provincial highway within municipalities that administer their own official plans and bylaws

Note: If you are buying a parcel of land that is not an approved building lot, it is important to ensure that the property has a safe access to the provincial highway. Failure to ensure safe access could mean that you may not be able to develop your property. The enforcement of regulations for safe highway access falls under the Roads Act Highway Access Regulations [654 Kb].


Traffic Operations

Eastern and Central PEI Manager

Jeff Sampson

Western PEI Manager
Trevor Paynter (Acting)

Questions about culvert installation?

If you already have approval for your entrance way and have a question regarding your culvert installation,  contact Highway Maintenance in your region

Report culvert problems

To report a problem with your culvert, such as heaving due to frost, contact Highway Maintenance in your region.


Published date: 
December 10, 2019
Transportation and Infrastructure

General Inquiries

Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
3rd Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street,
P.O. Box 2000,
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5100
Fax: 902-368-5395

Access PEI/Highway Safety Head Office
33 Riverside Drive
Charlottetown, PE
Phone: 902-368-5200

Road-Related Inquiries:

All other Transportation and Infrastructure inquiries:

Report Transportation Problems