Food Safety Training
Food Safety Training is critical for public safety and protection.
How might the recent changes in Food Safety Training affect me?
You may be impacted by the training and certification revisions effective April 1, 2016 through the PEI Public Health Act Food Premises Regulations, Section 24. The main changes are:
- At least one employee must be present in a food premises preparation area who has successfully completed a food safety training program;
- Food handlers completing food safety training must update their certification every five years;
- Evidence of food safety training (a certificate or other proof) must be posted in the food premises in a location where it can easily be checked by a public health official.
Does Environmental Health accept courses from other providers to fulfil training requirements?
Yes. PEI Department of Health and Wellness recognizes certain food safety training programs as equivalent to the National Guidelines for Food Safety Training Programs in the Food Retail and Food Service Sectors. View a list of PEI approved food safety training programs.
Do non-profit organizations (such as church kitchens and service clubs) require the same food safety training programs as other food premises?
- Yes. Non-profit organizations and service clubs are required to have at least one organizer or volunteer present during food preparation who has completed the Food Safety Training or the food safety seminar offered by Environmental Health.
- The required food safety seminar is a three-hour presentation on proper food handling, preparation, and service practices which is specially designed for volunteers at non-profit organization and service club events where food is prepared and served.
- Food Safety Presentation for Volunteers Only
Where can I access food safety training programs?
Food safety training programs are available as classroom sessions or as online sessions. Environmental Health and other private sector training businesses offer food safety training programs. The courses are offered regularly each year. It is important to register in advance for food safety courses offered by Environmental Health.
When are the Environmental Health Food Safety Training courses offered?
Food safety training courses are offered periodically by Environmental Health throughout the year. Course dates are announced on this website (along with the required registration form).
Are there other providers offering food safety training programs?
For how long is my food safety training program certificate valid?
Five years. It is the responsibility of the food handler to renew their certificate prior to expiry.
Who can I contact to get more information on food safety training?
Environmental Health, Department of Health & Wellness
Telephone: (902) 368-4970
Toll Free: 1(800)958-6400
Fax: (902) 368-6468