Sexual Health After-Hours Walk-in Clinics, as well as visits in Souris, O'Leary and Alberton are cancelled until further notice.
Note: If you require a pregnancy test or condoms, call 1-844-365-8258 and they can be mailed to you, if needed.
Resource Link: Sexual Health and COVID-19 (CATIE)
Birth control counselling and options are provided to individuals of all genders, orientations and ages through the Women’s Wellness Program. The program provides safe, confidential and supportive services to all clients.
Call 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to make an appointment, or if you have questions about birth control.
What birth control options are there?
Some birth control options include:
- Hormonal methods – pill, patch, nuvaring
- Barrier methods – condom, spermicides, diaphragm, cervical cap, sterilization (vasectomy, tubal ligation)
- Intrauterine Device (IUD)
- Nexplanon (birth control implant) insertions and removals
- Emergency contraception (copper IUD, morning after pill)
While there is no charge for birth control counselling, there may be a cost for the birth control method you choose. Program staff can help you determine the best option for you.
How can I protect myself from getting an STI or STBBI?
There are many things you can do to reduce your risk of contracting a sexually transmitted infection:
- Use a condom;
- Reduce the number of sexual partners;
- Share information on your sexual history with partners;
- Never share drug injection equipment;
- Get vaccinated to prevent HPV and Hepatitis B; and
- Get tested regularly.
What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?
- Identification: All patients and support persons need to provide a photo ID. Patients will also be required to have a valid PEI Health Card.
- Information: You may also be asked about your personal health history and medications you are currently taking. If you are taking medications, bring them with you or bring an up-to-date list of your medications [PDF | 609 KB], including over the counter vitamins or supplements.
- Support Person: You can bring a support person who may accompany you to your appointment, but they may be asked to sit in the waiting area in certain circumstances. Please talk to a staff member to learn about your options.
Who can I contact for more information?
Women’s Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services
Prince County Hospital
65 Roy Boates Avenue
Summerside, PE C1N 2A9
Telephone: 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free)