Birth control counselling and options are provided to individuals of all genders, orientations and ages through Sexual Health, Options & Reproductive Services (SHORS). The program provides safe, confidential, and supportive services to all clients.
Call 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to make an appointment, or if you have questions about birth control.
What birth control options are there?
Some birth control options include:
- Hormonal methods – pill, patch, nuvaring
- Barrier methods – condom, spermicides, diaphragm, cervical cap, sterilization (vasectomy, tubal ligation)
- Intrauterine Device (IUD)
- Nexplanon (birth control implant) insertions and removals
- Emergency contraception (copper IUD, morning-after pill)
While there is no charge for birth control counselling, there may be a cost for the birth control method you choose. Program staff can help you determine the best option for you.
How can I protect myself from getting an STI or STBBI?
There are many things you can do to reduce your risk of contracting a sexually transmitted infection:
- Use a condom;
- Reduce the number of sexual partners;
- Share information on your sexual history with partners;
- Never share drug injection equipment;
- Get vaccinated to prevent HPV and Hepatitis B; and
- Get tested regularly.
What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?
Identification: All patients and support persons need to provide a photo ID. Patients will also be required to have a valid PEI Health Card.
Information: You may also be asked about your personal health history and the medications you are currently taking. If you are taking medications, bring them with you or bring an up-to-date list of your medications [PDF | 609 KB], including over-the-counter vitamins or supplements.
Support Person: You can bring a support person who may accompany you to your appointment, but they may be asked to sit in the waiting area in certain circumstances. Please talk to a staff member to learn about your options.
Who can I contact for more information?
Sexual Health, Options & Reproductive Services (SHORS)
Prince County Hospital
65 Roy Boates Avenue
Summerside, PE C1N 2A9
Telephone: 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free)