Leasing Provincial Land

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

It is possible to lease provincially owned land from Government.  The tenant must adhere to the terms and conditions of the lease agreement and carry adequate insurance, with Government named as an additional insured.

If you are leasing land from Government, you should expect to:

  • Pay an annual rental fee;
  • Become the designated property tax payer of the leased lands;
  • Carry liability insurance; and
  • Agree to any other terms and conditions which would be outlined during the process.

Can I build anything on leased/licensed provincial lands?

No permanent structures are to be erected on leased lands. However, Government will review proposals which include infrastructure such as trails or boardwalks and a may grant a long-term license agreement. 

Can I purchase the land I am leasing?

If the land you are leasing is deemed surplus to the needs of Government, you may be given the opportunity to purchase the property at market value prior to the property being offered for sale by public tender.

Does the Provincial Government lease land from private land owners?

There are instances where Government leases land from others.  Typically, these properties are unique and have special characteristics which appeal to Government because of their environmental features or to ensure public access to them.  For example, Government currently has lease agreements for lookout sites, dams and ponds.

How do I arrange to lease provincial land or find out more information?

To lease land or find more information, please contact:

Dawn MacDougall
Supervisor, Land Administration
Department of Transportation and Infrastructure
Properties Section

Telephone: (902) 368‑5350
Email: dtmacdougall@gov.pe.ca



Date de publication : 
le 22 Mars 2018
Transports et Infrastructure

Renseignements généraux

3rd Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-5151
Fax: 902-368-5395