Farm Truck Registration

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.
Due to the Public Health Emergency, all expired and expiring PEI Driver Licenses, Voluntary ID Cards and Vehicle Registration Permits that are eligible for renewal are being extended to Monday July 6, 2020. If required, further extensions will be made.

Bona fide farmers may register farm trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 4,500 kgs or more in a separate class at a reduced rate. A farm vehicle must be used exclusively for farm-related purposes such as transporting:

  • the farmer, family members and others without fee or charge of any kind;
  • farm tools, machinery, equipment and materials used in agricultural production; and
  • animals and animal products, poultry and poultry products, plants and plant products, or products of the forest as are grown or produced in the truck owner's farm.

What do I need to register a farm truck?

If you have never been identified or approved by PEI Highway Safety Division as a bona fide farmer under the Farm Truck Registration Regulations  you must:

  1. Confirm bona fide farmer status by:
    • providing to the Registrar of Motor Vehicles an Income Tax  Return from the previous year confirming at least 25% of your gross income is derived from farming, and
    • signing the Vehicle Identification Form at any Access PEI location confirming  you are a bona fide farmer; and
  2. Verify the Gross Vehicle Rating (GVWR) of the truck you are registering is at least 4,500 kgs by providing:
    • tire load rating, and
    • line specification sheet, completed by a dealer who sells that type of vehicle and using that dealer`s letterhead. 


Legislation: For more information, refer to the Highway Traffic Act  Farm Truck Registration Regulations.


Date de publication : 
le 7 Mai 2020
Transports, Infrastructure et Énergie

Renseignements généraux

Ministère des Transports, de l’Infrastructure et de l’Énergie
Immeuble Jones, 3e étage
11, rue Kent
C.P. 2000
Charlottetown (Î.-P.-É.) C1A 7N8

Téléphone : 902-368-5100
Télécopieur : 902-368-5395

Report Transportation Problems