Register to Handle Ozone Depleting and Regulated Substances

Le contenu suivant est seulement disponible en anglais.

A valid licence is required to work on equipment that contains a regulated or ozone-depleting substance such as heating, air conditioning, refrigeration, fire suppression, electronics cleaning, and solvents.  A licence is valid for up to two years and must be renewed by October 31st of the second year after it is issued. All PEI licences will expire October 31, 2021.

Click on the button below to purchase or renew your licence online. At the same time, you can also “Add a Reminder” to receive an automated email when it’s time to renew your licence.

What do I need to become or remain a registered handler?

To become or remain a Registered handler, you must meet one of the follow qualifications:

  • hold a valid certificate of qualification in one of the following trades:
    • Appliance Service Technician;
    • Automotive Service Technician;
    • Agricultural Equipment Technician;
    • Heavy Duty Equipment Technician;
    • Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic;
    • Recreational Service Vehicle Technician;
    • Truck and Transport Mechanic;
    • Transport Trailer Technician
  • be a registered apprentice working under the supervision of a journey person who holds a valid certificate of qualification in one of the trades above;
  • have been a Registered Handler in Prince Edward Island for five consecutive years prior to the submission of your application. 
All Registered Handlers must have Heating Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Institute of Canada (HRAI) Certification that provides education regarding the proper procedures for the handling and use of a regulated substance. 

What do I need to complete the online form?

To submit the online form below, you will need to provide the following:

  • Current contact information
  • Current licence to handle # (for renewal only)
  • HRAI certification number;
  • Copy of valid certificate of qualification (new applicants only);
  • Full payment.

If you intend to purchase a substance that could damage the ozone, an additional licence is required. Please go to: Licence to Purchase Ozone Depleting and Regulated Substances.

How long will it take to complete the form?

You can complete this form in less than 15 minutes.

What is the licence fee?

The cost to renew a Licence to Handle is $100 for two years. New applications are pro-rated after November 1 and are $50 during the 12 months before the expiration date. 

All Licence to Handle renewals are $100

How long will it take to process my request?

Allow one to two weeks to process this licence application.

Our new licensing system requires a PEI licence number to renew a licence. If you previously registered using a NB or NS licence number, please complete the new licence to handle form to be issued a PEI number.

Le présent service accepte les paiements faits avec Visa, VISA Debit, MasterCard et Debit MasterCard.

Agriculture et Terres

Renseignements généraux

Inspection Services
J. Elmer Blanchard Building
31 Gordon Drive
Charlottetown, PE C1A 6B8

Telephone: 902-368-5280
Fax: 902-368-5526