Family Law

The Family Law Centre provides programs and services that promote and emphasize the best interests of children.

The Family Law Centre provides child-focused programs and services for families going through separation and divorce. These family justice programs and services promote and emphasize the best interests of children. 

Parenting Arrangements (Custody and Access)

Family Court Counsellors' Office

The Family Court Counsellors' Office provides court ordered assessments to assist the Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island in determining an appropriate parenting arrangement for children.

Child-focused Family Mediation

The Family Court Counsellors’ Office provides Child-focused Family Mediation services to parents to help settle child custody, access and child support issues. The mediator acts as a neutral third party to help parents work out their own solutions to their problems in the best interests of their child(ren).

Supervised Access and Exchange program

Supervised access is a type of visitation between separated or divorced parents and children that takes place with a trained, independent service provider. The visit takes place at a child-centered visiting place equipped with toys and games to help make the visit positive. By comparison, a supervised exchange happens when a neutral third party picks up children from one parent and escorts them to the other parent at the visiting place. 

Office of the Children's Lawyer

A Children’s Lawyer acts as a legal representative for individual Island children in custody and access cases. The goal of the Office of the Children’s Lawyer is to protect the needs and interests of children whose parents have separated or divorced and are engaged in custody and access conflict.


Child Support

Child Support Guidelines Office

The Child Support Guidelines Office provides information on the Child Support Guidelines and helps people who represent themselves complete the required court documentation when they apply for child support for the first time or want to change an existing child support order. The Interjurisdictional Support Orders Act (PEI) sets up a process for making or changing child support or spousal support orders when one party lives in Prince Edward Island but the other party lives in a different province, territory, or country.

Maintenance Enforcement Program

The Maintenance Enforcement Program administers and enforces child and spousal support obligations under the terms of a court order or separation agreement. Once an order or separation agreement has been registered with the program, support payments must be sent to the program rather than directly to the person receiving the payments.

Child Support Recalculation 

The Administrative Recalculation Office recalculates child support payments, allowing parents to update child support depending on the payor's income without going back through the courts.


Parent Education

Positive Parenting from Two Homes 

Positive Parenting from Two Homes is a cost-free program that provides information to parents who are separating, divorcing, or parenting from two homes. There is also a school-based program for children who are experiencing changes in their lives as a result of separation or divorce. 


Who can I contact for more information?

Family Law Centre (Charlottetown)

Phone: (902) 368-6928

Published date: 
April 12, 2017
Justice and Public Safety

General Inquiries

Legal and Court Services Division
4th Floor, Shaw South
95 Rochford Street
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-6522
Fax: 902-368-4563