Driving with an Out-of-Province License

Welcome to PEI! If you are non-resident of Prince Edward Island but are a visitor, student or temporary worker, you are permitted to drive under the authority of your non-PEI driver's license. However, please review the information below to ensure you meet the driver license requirements.  

  • It is important to note under the Highway Traffic Act, newcomers may use their driver`s license to drive in Prince Edward Island for up to four months after they become a resident of the Province. This period of time will be extended if an individual has started but not completed the driver license exchange process within the four months.
  • Drivers with a 6-month Visitor`s Visa are not required or eligible for a PEI driver`s license. Visitors may drive for the duration of their Visitor`s Visa.
  • A non-resident employed in the PEI agricultural or fishing industry under the Government of Canada Guest Worker Program who holds a valid foreign driver’s license equal to a PEI Class 5 and an International Driver’s Permit, may operate a vehicle that requires a Class 5 driver’s license in this province for up to eight months in any one year without being required to do a driver`s license exchange.
  • If you are a full-time student attending an educational institution in PEI (UPEI or college), you may drive in PEI with your home license if your license is current and valid and, if required, accompanied by an International Driver's Permit.

How do I exchange my license to a PEI driver’s license?

To exchange for a PEI license in order to drive passenger vehicles and motorcycles, visit an Access PEI office in person and be prepared to:

  • fill out an application form;
  • provide the required documents (see approved list of documents below;
  • pass a vision test;
  • pass a written knowledge exam and a driving test; and, 
  • pay the appropriate fees.

Canadian Exchange or Reciprocal Exchange 

If you are moving to Prince Edward Island from another Canadian jurisdiction, or from any of the countries listed below, you can exchange your license for a PEI driver's license and you will not need to complete a written knowledge exam or driving test.

  • Austria (Class 5 and 6) 
  • Australia (Class 5 and 6)
  • France (Class 5)
  • Germany (Class 5 and 6)
  • Japan (Class 5 and 6)
  • South Korea (Class 5 and 6)
  • Switzerland (Class 5 and 6)
  • Taiwan (Class 5)
  • Ukraine (Class 5, effective August 15, 2022)
  • United Kingdom* (Class 5 and 6)
  • United States (Class 1, 2, 3.4, 5 and 6)

 *The United Kingdom includes England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland and the Isle of Man.

Supporting Documents for Canadian or Reciprocal Exchange

You will need the following documents in order to exchange your out-of-province license to a PEI license:.

  • A valid photo driver's license from your home jurisdiction;
  • Two documents that show your current address in Prince Edward Island such as a:
    • phone bill,
    • electric bill,
    • personal cheque,
    • mail from federal or provincial government,
    • rental agreement,
    • mortgage papers,
    • letter from your employer, or
    • any other address-related document that maybe approved;
  • If required, a driver's abstract outlining your driving history (U.S. residents)*;
  • If required, a certified translation of your driver's license or a translation provided by Immigrant and Refugee Services Association of PEI ; and
  • Immigration documents that show your legal status and length of stay in Canada.

Note: If you have just moved to Prince Edward Island from outside Canada, helpful information about driving and licensing is available in multiple languages on the Immigrant and Refugee Services Association of PEI website. 

* Please note: Before you visit an Access PEI office, it's always a good idea to call ahead to ensure you have the appropriate documents to complete the exchange. Please see phone numbers at the bottom of the page. 

Unilateral Exchange 

Effective Monday January 24, 2022, holders of an active Class 5 driver`s license or equivalent from the following countries will not be required to complete a written exam or road test for a PEI Class 5 driver`s license, if they are able to present a valid driver license and one (1) of the supporting documents listed below. 

  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Ireland
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Spain
  • Sweden

Supporting Documents for Unilateral Exchange

  • A Valid International Drivers Permit (IDP)
  • An Original Copy of a driving record (driver abstract) from the home jurisdiction issued within 30 days
    • As per the Highway Traffic Act, the definition of a Driver`s Abstract is as follows:

      391 (1.1) A certified basic abstract shall fully set out

      (a) the accident records of the person to whom it relates for a period of 5 years, where the accident involved a collision;

      (a.1) the record of any suspension of the person’s driver’s license and driving privileges under section 277.1 or 277.9, for a period of 3 years;

      (b) the record of any conviction of the person for a violation of the Criminal Code relating to the operation of a motor vehicle, for a period of 5 years;

      (c) the record of any conviction of the person for a violation of an enactment relating to the operation of a motor vehicle, for a period of 3 years; and

      (d) the record of any unsatisfied judgment against the person relating to a motor vehicle accident.

  • An Original letter from licensing agency in the home jurisdiction stating driver status issued within 30 days.
  • An Original letter from the Embassy or Consular office of the license holder stating driver license status issued within 30 days. 

Except for the International Drivers Permit, any of the original documents maybe e-mailed or faxed to the Highway Safety Division from the issuing office for approval.

  • Original documents can be faxed to Charlottetown (902) 368-5236 or Summerside (902) 432-2529
  • Original document can be emailed to PEIHighwaySafety@gov.pe.ca

Non-Reciprocal License Exchange

If you’re from any other country not listed as “reciprocal” or "unilateral", you can still apply for a Prince Edward Island license. But in addition to the application, you must:

Note: Proficiency testing is available if you have refugee status from a non-reciprocity country and you do not have primary documents.


In cases where documents such as a driver`s license lack adequate or verifiable security features necessary for authentication, additional documents will be required to support the authenticity of the submitted documents. 

For example, when an official document is required from the driver license issuing country,  NO photocopies, faxes or scanned documents will be accepted.


    How do I make an appointment for my licensing tests? 

    Contact any Access PEI to arrange an appointment for all licensing tests. Driving examinations are only conducted at the following Access PEI offices: Alberton, Charlottetown, Montague, Souris and Summerside.

    Driving tests are based on the driving rules and other information contained in the Driver’s Handbook which is available in print from any Access PEI location and online. Download the Driver’s Handbook.

    The Driver’s Handbook is also available in other languages:

    You will need to bring your own vehicle. Once you pass the driving test, provide the required documents (listed above) and pay the appropriate fees, you will receive a PEI Driver’s License.

    For more information, please contact:

    Charlottetown: (902) 368-5271

    Summerside: (902) 432-2714

    Published date: 
    February 14, 2024