Installing or Replacing Culverts
The process to install or replace a culvert typically depends on the type and/or location of the adjacent parcel of land.
- For a driveway culvert, you must complete an entrance way application
- For culverts on other types of properties, as listed below, you must contact a traffic operations manager in your area, as a first step.
- residential access where there isn’t already an approved building lot
- farm field access along any provincial highway
- entrance way along any provincial highway for commercial, industrial or institutional uses
- entrance way along any provincial highway within municipalities that administer their own official plans and bylaws
Note: If you are buying a parcel of land that is not an approved building lot, it is important to ensure that the property has a safe access to the provincial highway. Failure to ensure safe access could mean that you may not be able to develop your property. The enforcement of regulations for safe highway access falls under the Roads Act Highway Access Regulations [654 Kb].
Eastern and Central PEI Manager
Western PEI Manager
Questions about culvert installation?
If you already have approval for your entrance way and have a question regarding your culvert installation, contact Highway Maintenance in your region.
Report culvert problems
To report a problem with your culvert, such as heaving due to frost, contact Highway Maintenance in your region.