Installing or Replacing Culverts

Before getting a new driveway culvert, you must first apply for an entrance way application  

You will need to contact a Traffic Operations Manager in your area if you want:

  • A residential access where there isn’t already an approved building lot
  • A farm field access along any provincial highway
  • An entrance way along any provincial highway for commercial, industrial or institutional uses
  • An entrance way along any provincial highway within municipalities that administer their own official plans and bylaws

The Traffic Operations Manager for Eastern and Central PEI is Kevin Campbell (Email:

The Traffic Operations Manager for Western Region is Dawn Moase (Email:

If you are buying a parcel of land that is not an approved building lot, it is important to ensure that the property has a safe access to the provincial highway. Failure to ensure safe access could mean that you may not be able to develop your property. The enforcement of regulations for safe highway access falls under the Roads Act Highway Access Regulations [654 Kb].

If you have already received approval for your entrance way and have a question regarding your culvert installation, please contact the Highway Maintenance Division office in your region

To report any problems with your culvert, such as heaving due to frost, please contact the Highway Maintenance Division in your region.

Published date: 
May 10, 2015
Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy department logo

General Inquiries

Department of Transportation, Infrastructure and Energy
3rd Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street,
P.O. Box 2000,
Charlottetown, PE   C1A 7N8

Phone: (902) 368-5100
Fax: (902) 368-5395

Highway Safety/Access PEI Inquiries:

Road-Related Inquiries:

All other TIE inquiries:

Report Transportation Problems