Net Zero Free Heat Pump Program
Installing a heat pump can help you save money on your energy bills and make your home more comfortable. Starting January 3, 2024, Islanders with an annual household net income of $100,000 or less may be eligible for a free heat pump for their home.
Additionally, the Government of Prince Edward Island is working to finalize agreements with the Government of Canada to deliver the Oil to Heat Pump Affordability Program (OHPA). If you have already received a free heat pump, you may still be eligible for Government of Canada funding. More details will be provided in the coming weeks.
Meanwhile, you can still apply for a free heat pump, free insulation and a free electric hot water heater using the blue button below.
How do I apply?
You can apply for a free heat pump online by clicking the blue button at the bottom of this page.
If you would like help with your application, you can book an appointment to visit your local Access PEI where staff will help you verify your income and help you submit your application. Book an appointment online or by calling 1-833-734-1873.
Am I qualified to apply?
Before you apply, ensure you qualify:
- Your home is an eligible property type (e.g., detached, duplex/semi-detached, townhouse, condominium, or mobile home). Homes must be connected to the electrical grid to be eligible.
- You are the primary resident and owner of your home.
- Your household income must qualify you for the program. As of January 3, 2024, the household income threshold is $100,000 net household income. This is your net income (line 23600) plus your spouse’s or common-law partner’s net income (line 23600) (if applicable).
What documents do I need to apply?
During your appointment or applying online, you will need to provide proof of your household income, as well as a Maritime Electric or City of Summerside electric bill that shows the address of the upgrades being installed. Please upload one of the following three income verification documents to be eligible for the program:
Current Proof of Income Statement from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) for applicant and spouse/common-law partner (if applicable). Call the CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to request your Proof of Income document or access it online through the CRA's My Account for Individuals.
- Proof of Income Statement
- GST Credit Notice showing your address, family net income, marital status and province of residence
- Current Canada Child Benefit Statement from the CRA
If you are having trouble accessing the proof of income document, read through our guide to finding proof of income statements.
What happens after I apply?
After you apply, staff will review your application to make sure it is complete and you are eligible for the program. If there is any missing information, staff will contact you directly. Applications cannot be approved until all the required information is received.
If you are eligible, you will receive an approval email outlining the next steps.
What about electric hot water heaters?
This application form may also be used to apply for a free electric hot water heater. Your annual household income must be $55,000 or less to receive a free electric hot water heater. Simply check off which upgrades you are interested in. There is no need to apply more than once.