Soil Building for Seed Producers Project
The Prince Edward Island Department of Agriculture and Land has established the Soil Building for Seed Potato Producers Program to assist in the planting of soil-building crops or extended perennial crops in fields originally intended for seed potatoes in 2022.
Am I eligible?
- Eligible applicants are PEI seed potato producers who have experienced market losses as a result of potato wart, and who are reducing seed potato acres in 2022 as a result. Eligible applicants must also be reducing their total potato acreage.
- Mi’kmaq First Nations and Indigenous Organizations that produce seed potatoes and have experienced market losses as a result of potato wart.
- demonstrate lost seed potato sales as a result of potato wart;
- reduce 2022 seed potato acres by a minimum of 10% or 10 acres compared to 2021;
- reduce overall potato acres and not substitute seed acres with table or processing.
How do I apply?
Applications are now closed.
How will I receive funding?
Eligible applicants as defined in the guidelines will qualify for $1,000 per acre of land established into soil-building crops or extended perennial crops.
Once complete application packages are received, program staff will proceed with field verification checks throughout the growing season. Payments will be processed upon verification of field acres and crops, completion of a claim form, and completion of a program evaluation.
For more information, contact:
For more information about the Soil Building for Seed Producers Project, contact:
- Department of Agriculture and Land at email@example.com or 902-314-1607.