Getting a Marriage Licence in PEI

You must have a PEI marriage licence before you can be married on PEI.   

How long in advance should I get my marriage licence?

A marriage licence is valid for three months. It will be issued on site so you do not have to wait for it to be processed or delivered to you.

How do I get my marriage licence?

  1. Book an appointment with Vital Statistics in Charlottetown or Montague or at most Access PEI sites, excluding Charlottetown and Montague.
  2. Both you and your future spouse are required to attend the appointment to get your marriage licence.
  3. Your marriage officiant must be registered with Vital Statistics and confirmed to perform your marriage ceremony before your licence will be issued.
  4. Bring the following documentation to your appointment:
    1. Valid birth certificates issued from your birth province or country; 
      1. Please note: If you are under age 18 you must have consent of your parent(s) in order to marry in PEI. A consent form is available from Vital Statistics.
    2. Current photo identification: passport, driver’s licence or other government issued ID;
    3. Provincial health card, if you are a PEI resident;
    4. Divorce certificate with seal intact or the original government-issued death certificate of a former spouse (if applicable);
    5. Marriage licence fee ( payable in cash, debit or credit card);
    6. Marriage ceremony details: date, location and the name of the  officiant confirmed to perform your ceremony.
  5. You will both be required to take an oath on religious text or make a solemn affirmation (Subsection 14(2) of the Marriage Act). You are welcome to bring your preferred religious text to the appointment with you.
  6. At this appointment, you will receive a marriage registration package for the clergy or officiant performing your marriage ceremony.
  7. You must have two credible adult witnesses (age 18 or older) in attendance at your marriage ceremony.  Both of you, your two witnesses and your marriage officiant must sign the legal Statement of Marriage that will be registered at Vital Statistics.

What is the fee for a marriage licence?

Find current service fees and expenses in the table of Vital Statistics Service Fees.

What if I live out of province but want to get married in PEI?

If you live outside the province you will still have to follow the process described above. If your birth certificate is issued in a language other than English or French you are responsible for having it officially translated and notarized.  You must present both the original certificate and the translated document at the time of licensing.


Published date: 
December 20, 2016
Justice and Public Safety

General Inquiries

Vital Statistics
126 Douses Road
Montague, PE C0A 1R0
Phone: 902-838-0880
Toll-free: 1-877-320-1253
Fax: 902-838-0883

1st Floor South, Shaw Building (North Entrance)
105 Rochford Street, PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Phone: (902) 368-4550