Photographic Identification Card (Voluntary ID)

A Photographic Identification Card is a wallet sized card that provides government-issued identification to residents of PEI who do not have a driver’s licence. 

“Resident”  means  a  person  legally  entitled  to  be  or  remain  in  Canada  and  who  makes the  person’s  home  in  and  is  ordinarily  resident  in  the  province.

A  person  is  not  eligible  to  apply  for  a  photographic  identification  card where  the  person  is  the  holder of  a  driver’s  license  or  the  equivalent  of  a  photographic identification  card  issued  by  another  province, state,  territory  or  country. 

What documents do I need to apply for a Photo ID?

To show proof of residency, two pieces of the following must be shown:

  • Current utility bills (electric, cable, oil delivery, phone, etc.)
  • Formal rental or lease agreement
  • Letter of employment on company letterhead (or pay stubs with name and address)
  • Any mail from the Federal or Provincial Government (tax, GST, correspondence, etc.)
  • Bank cheque with name and address
  • Mortgage documents
  • Credit card bill/bank statement

All of the above must have your name and current PEI address.

In addition, Photo IDs will only be issued to individuals who have three resource documents that include a photo, full legal name and signature, or to those individuals who have a digital photo on the PEI Registry of Motor Vehicle database.

Do I need to provide a document that contains my photo?

Yes, acceptable resource documents must have at least one photo document from the following list:

  • Valid Canadian Passport (Birth Certificate must accompany Canadian Passport if document is being used for full legal name.)
  • Aviation Document issued by Transport Canada
  • Ontario/Quebec Health Card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS)
  • Permanent Resident Card (CIC) Citizenship Certificate with photo issued before Feb. 1, 2012 (CIC)
  • Temporary Resident Permit (CIC) (IMM 1442)
  • Refugee Protection Claimant Document (CIC) (IMM 1442)
  • Valid Foreign Passport with appropriate Immigration Documents
  • US Passport Card
  • Canadian Forces ID

AND no more than two from this list:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Health Card
  • Credit Card
  • SIN Card
  • Bank Card
  • Any other recognized document with signature

A young person who has a valid birth certificate may be accompanied by his or her parents or legal guardian for identification and/or proof of residency purposes. The parent or legal guardian will be required to present his or her driver's license or Photo ID.

Do I have to book an appointment if I don't have the proper documents? 

If you do not have or cannot obtain proper documents, an appointment must be scheduled with Highway Safety to determine if a Photo ID can be issued. 

Phone: (902) 368-6225 Charlottetown area
Phone: (902) 432-2714 Summerside area

What is the fee?

Valid for 5 years:  $50.00
Valid for 1 year: $20.00
Duplicate ID: $20.00

Qualified individuals - No Charge

Qualified individuals include:

  • All individuals that are 18 years old or older and do not hold a valid driver`s license, Class 7 Instruction Permit or Class 9 Farm Tractor Permit.
  • All individuals whose driving privileges have been cancelled administratively by PEI`s Highway Safety Division under Fitness to Drive provisions.
  • All individuals that do not qualify to hold a driver`s license under Highway Safety Division`s Fitness to Drive provisions as approved by the Registrar. 
  • All individuals that no longer drive and their driver`s license is expired over 3 years.

Who can I contact for more information?

Phone: (902) 368-5228
Fax: (902) 368-5236

Published date: 
November 5, 2021
Transportation and Infrastructure

General Inquiries

Access PEI
33 Riverside Drive,
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Phone: 902-368-5200
Fax: 902-569-7560 
Road-Related Inquiries: 
All other TI inquiries: 
Report Transportation Problems