In winter in Prince Edward Island, drivers are faced with a new set of challenges. Make sure you are prepared:
- Highway Safety recommends that drivers install four matching winter tires between the months of November and April.
- Winter tires provide almost twice the traction of all season tires on snow or ice. Be sure to look for the peaked mountain and snowflake symbol to ensure you are buying certified winter tires.
- Studded tires may be used on your car from October 1 to May 31. Review the Winter Tires Regulations.
- Be cautious of black ice. It can form instantly when warm air meets an ice-cold road. It's most often found on bridges, overpasses and in shaded areas, creating an invisible sheet of ice. However, it can form on almost any road.
- Have a winter check done by an authorized mechanic to ensure your car is prepared for the winter months.
August 5, 2015