Social Development and Housing
The Department of Social Development and Housing supports Islanders in need and helps them to become more self-reliant.
Services provided directly or in partnership with community organizations include: financial assistance, housing supports, child protection and disability support. The department supports the Seniors Secretariat which ensures seniors have a strong voice in government.
Some of the priorities in this mandate are to:
- Lead the development of a comprehensive poverty reduction strategy
- Review and update support programs
- Ensure that housing supports are meeting current and future needs
- Participate in the development of a long term mental health and addictions strategy
- Work with other departments to ensure that Islanders with the greatest needs are being served