Farmer Assistance Program

The Farmer Assistance Program is a service that provides confidential, professional counselling services to farmers, farm employees and their families. The program recognizes that some problems can affect home life and work performance. When this happens, help may be required in resolving these problems through the assistance of a trained professional counsellor. These counselors are trained to provide short term counselling or refer you to other professional services and resources in the community.

Confidential service is available 24 hours a day by calling a counselling coordinator: (902)  626-9787 or toll-free 1-800-736-8006

Who qualifies?

  • Farmers who are members of the PEI Federation of Agriculture or National Farmers Union
  • Immediate family members of farmers who are members of the PEI Federation of Agriculture or National Farmers Union
  • Farm workers/farm employees of farmers who are members of the PEI Federation of Agriculture or National Farmers Union

What kind of problems does the the program help resolve?

You can get help to deal with a wide range of problems that affect your personal well-being and work performance. These problems may include work or family pressures, job stress, alcohol or drug dependency, marital problems, children’s issues or other conflicts. The FAP counselors have a wide range of experience in a variety of problem areas including:

  • stress and anxiety
  • trauma/ critical incidents
  • alcohol and drug misuse
  • bereavement
  • couple and marital Issues
  • depression
  • elder care concerns
  • family matters/ parenting concerns
  • counselling with children and teens
  • legal matters
  • financial concerns
  • learning disabilities
  • grief counselling
  • career counselling
  • anger management

Is this service confidential?

Yes, your privacy is protected by strict confidentiality laws and regulations and by professional ethical standards for counsellors. The details of your discussions with the counsellor will not be released to anyone, including management, without your written consent, with the exceptions listed.*

* Certain exceptions apply when information must be provided to others, whether or not consent is given such as when a person appears to pose a threat of serious injury to themselves or others. Counsellors are also legally required to report suspicion of child abuse and to disclose information required by law.

How do I contact a counsellor?

The 1-800 number will get you in touch with a counsellor. You will then be contacted by an FAP counsellor in order to set up an appointment. FAP counselling hours are flexible, therefore appointments will be made at the earliest convenience. 

Are there any costs for the service?

100% coverage for those who meet the qualifications noted above

For more information, contact:

Farm Assistance Program
293 Water Street, Suite 5
Summerside, PE
Telephone: (902) 894-8006
Toll-free: 1-800-736-8006

Published date: 
July 4, 2019

General Inquiries

Department of Agriculture
5th Floor, Jones Building
11 Kent Street,
P.O. Box 2000,
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 7N8

Phone: 902-368-4880
Fax: 902-368-4857

Follow us on Twitter

Agriculture Information Desk
1-866-PEI FARM (734-3276)