Register a Private Training School
Most training programs offered on PEI must be registered as a private training school under the Private Training Schools Act. Instructors who teach at the school must have a PEI instructor’s license. Contact the Administrator of Private Training Schools if you are not sure if your training program needs to be registered as a private training school.
Is there a fee to register a private training school?
You are required to pay registration fees for the school and each instructor and post a security bond as follows:
- School registration (initial): $500; and
- Register an instructor: $35 per instructor
The law sets a minimum of $5,000 and a maximum of $100,000 for the security bond, calculated according to the number of students, enrolment fees, and the timing of fee collection.
How do I register my private training school?
You must obtain official documentation of training facility inspection from the:
- Provincial Fire Inspector; and
- Public Health
Submit all fees, documentation and a completed Application for Registration of a Private Training School .
Once all documentation is approved, the Administrator may issue tentative approval of registration, which is a formal statement that the school will be registered providing appropriate facilities and instructors are in place. This is common practice to enable school operators to proceed with administrative details such as signing a lease, purchasing equipment, and hiring instructors.
The official registration will be issued once facilities and staff are confirmed and the final contact information is forwarded to the Administrator.
Once your school is registered, the Administrator will:
- Issue a Certificate of Registration, which lists the authorized training programs;
- Issue Instructor Authorization certificates;
- Provide receipts for fees paid;
- Add your school to the list of registered private training schools; and
- Notify Student Financial Services and Human Resources Development Canada so students who register at your training school may be eligible for a loan or aid.
How long does the registration process take?
Allow six weeks to three months to complete the registration process.
Where can I find more information about registering private training schools?
Administrator of Private Training Schools
Province of Prince Edward Island
PO Box 2000
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Atlantic Technology Centre, Suite 212
176 Great George Street, Charlottetown.
Phone: (902) 620-3082
Fax: (902) 368-6144