Rental Accommodations Program

Environmental Health Officers work closely with tenants and property owners to ensure that minimum health standards in long term rental accommodations are met. Legislative authority for this program includes the PEI Rental Accommodation Regulations associated with the provincial Public Health Act. The activities under this program are complaint generated, and may originate from a tenant or a property owner.  

Involvement in these cases is often in cooperation with the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission and the Office of the Director of Residential Rental Property.

I have a health related concern about my rental property. What should I do?

The first point of contact regarding any health-related concern in a rental situation is your landlord or property owner.  If your concerns are not addressed in a reasonable period of time, you may wish to contact an Environmental Health Officer using the contact information below for Environmental Health.  You may also request an environmental health inspection using our online form.

I have questions about my rental agreement. Who should I contact?

 The Office of the Director of Residential Rental Property can help you with questions relating to your rental agreement, rent increases, eviction, security deposit and other non-health related questions or concerns.

Who can I contact to discuss a health related concern about my rental property?

Environmental Health, Department of Health & Wellness

Telephone: (902) 368-4970

Toll Free: 1(800)958-6400

Fax: (902) 368-6468




Published date: 
December 11, 2023
Health and Wellness

General Inquiries

Environmental Health
2nd Floor Sullivan Building
Fitzroy Street
Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
Telephone: 902-368-4970
Toll Free: 1-800-958-6400