Abortion Services are offered in Prince Edward Island through the Women's Wellness Program and out-of-province at the Moncton Hospital in New Brunswick and the QEII in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
How do I access Abortion Services?
There are three options for accessing abortion services:
Women’s Wellness Program (medical and surgical abortions) – Summerside, PE
- Medical abortion: You must be no more than 9 weeks pregnant.
- Surgical abortion: You must be no more than 12 weeks and 6 days pregnant.
- For abortions greater than 12 weeks and 6 days, staff can work with you to consider your options.
- Call 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to speak with a staff member or to make an appointment.
The Moncton Hospital (surgical abortion) – Moncton, NB
- You must be no more than 14 weeks pregnant. If you are considering this option, you should contact the Moncton Hospital, as early as possible.
- Island women can call the Moncton Hospital at 1-844-806-9205 to make an appointment. No referral is necessary.
- You will be asked to present your PEI Health Card to obtain this service.
QEII (surgical abortion) – Halifax, NS
- You must be no more than 16 weeks pregnant. If you are considering this option, you should seek a physician referral, as early as possible.
- A referral must be obtained through a PEI physician. The Termination of Pregnancy Unit at the QEII can also help with a referral. They can be reached by calling (902) 473-7072.
- Once your referral has been submitted, it will be approved within 48 hours by the Out-of-Province Coordinator.
If I have an abortion out-of-province, will I have to pay?
In general, you are responsible for your travel to and from the out-of-province hospital. You may be eligible to apply for one of Health PEI's Travel Support Programs. For more information, call (902) 368-5918 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Abortion procedures performed at private clinics are not covered by the province.
What other support is offered?
Wherever you choose to seek abortion services, the Women’s Wellness Program can provide support and answer any questions you may have. Island women are encouraged to contact the program at 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to speak with program staff.
For emergency care, call 9-1-1 or go to the nearest emergency department.
Who can I contact for more information?
Women’s Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services
Telephone: 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free)
Telephone: (902) 368-6516