Solar Electric Rebate Program
We have adjusted our operations based on COVID-19 public health advice. You can now visit our office to pick up or drop off your applications. We continue to encourage applications online, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org and by mail at 69 Belvedere Avenue, Suite 1-B01 Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8. Learn more about COVID-19 government operations.
Solar Photovoltaic (PV) is a technology that converts sunlight into electricity. The use of solar energy can lower energy bills for Islanders, working hand-in-hand with other efficiency upgrades.
The solar program makes solar power more affordable than ever before by providing financial incentive for Island homeowners, farms and businesses to install solar PV panels. Solar incentives will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions by over 500 tonnes annually and create approximately 20 jobs in PEI's renewable energy sector.
In addition to solar rebates, financing is available through the Government of Prince Edward Island to assist with the up-front costs of solar installation.
Homes - $1,000/kilowatt installed, up to 40% of installed costs, to a maximum of $10,000.
Businesses and farms- $350/kilowatt installed, up to 40% of installed costs, to a maximum of $10,000.
The applicant must be the legal property owner, business owner and/or a bona-fide farmer to be eligible for the program. Eligible buildings include:
- a residential property, no more than three stories high, with a footprint smaller than 600 m² (6458 ft²), or commercial building with an operating business, or a farm building owned and operated year round by a bona-fide farmer.
- a single-family home, detached, side-by-side, row house or apartment building.
- a manufactured or mobile home with have a permanent electrical utility connection.
New construction is not eligible. Buildings must be inhabited for more than six months to be eligible.
Buildings that are not habitable or structurally sound (i.e. fire damage, uninhabitable, major renovation or construction in progress, etc.) are not eligible.
You must ensure that a solar PV system is eligible for net metering from your electric utility - Maritime Electric or the City of Summerside Electric Utility. The system must meet all applicable regulations under the Canadian Electrical Code and any additional provincial laws and regulations. The system must be supplied and installed by an efficiencyPEI Network of Excellence contractor.
Residential Rebate Amounts
- $1,000 per installed kilowatt not to exceed 40% of total installed cost to a maximum of $10,000
The maximum rebate limit for all efficiencyPEI programs of $5000 per property (PID) does not apply to this program.
Commercial and Farm Rebate Amounts
- $350 per installed kilowatt not to exceed 40% of total installed cost to a maximum of $10,000
The maximum grant limit for all efficiencyPEI programs per property (PID) does not apply to this program.
Steps to Apply
If you are interested in financing for the up-front costs of solar, learn more about the energy efficiency loan program.
- Confirm eligibility (see terms and conditions on application form).
- Select an approved efficiencyPEI solar PV installer from the Network of Excellence.
- Complete the application form with your installer and send it to efficiencyPEI with your most recent electric bill, along with a quote from your installer.
- Wait for your letter of acceptance before beginning any work.
- Once your work is complete, submit your paid receipts to efficiencyPEI.
Where can I find a list of contractors that offer solar electric rebates?
View the list of contractors that offer solar electric rebates. You can search for a contractor by name or by the service they provide or you can view a list of contractors by county or by program by selecting an option from the "County" and "Program" fields.
If you need information on this program or any other energy efficiency help, get in touch. Visit us at efficiencyPEI at 69 Belvedere Avenue in Charlottetown or at Access PEI in Summerside. Program information is also available at any Access PEI location.
69 Belvedere Ave Suite 1-B01
PO Box 2000, PE C1A 7N8
Energy efficiency incentives are a cost-shared with the Government of Canada under the Low Carbon Economy Fund.