Solar Electric Rebate Program
Solar Photovoltaic (PV) is a technology that converts sunlight into electricity. The use of solar energy can lower energy bills for Islanders, working hand-in-hand with other efficiency upgrades.
The solar program makes solar power more affordable than ever before by providing financial incentive for Island homeowners, farms and businesses to install solar PV panels. Solar incentives will help reduce greenhouse gas emissions by over 500 tonnes annually and create approximately 20 jobs in PEI's renewable energy sector.
In addition to solar rebates, financing is available through the Government of Prince Edward Island to assist with the up-front costs of solar installation.
Homes - $1,000/kilowatt installed, up to 40% of installed costs, to a maximum of $10,000.
Businesses and farms- $350/kilowatt installed, up to 40% of installed costs, to a maximum of $10,000.
The applicant must be the legal property owner, business owner and/or a bona-fide farmer to be eligible for the program. Eligible buildings include:
- a residential property, no more than three stories high, with a footprint smaller than 600 m² (6458 ft²), or commercial building with an operating business, or a farm building owned and operated year round by a bona-fide farmer.
- a single-family home, detached, side-by-side, row house or apartment building.
- a manufactured or mobile home with have a permanent electrical utility connection.
Buildings that are not habitable or structurally sound (i.e. fire damage, uninhabitable, major renovation or construction in progress, etc.) are not eligible.
You must ensure that a solar PV system is eligible is net metering from your electric utility - Maritime Electric or the City of Summerside Electric Utility. The system must meet all applicable regulations under the Canadian Electrical Code and any additional provincial laws and regulations. The system must be installed by an efficiencyPEI Network of Excellence contractor.
Residential Rebate Amounts
- $1,000 per installed kilowatt not to exceed 40% of total installed cost to a maximum of $10,000
The maximum rebate limit for all efficiencyPEI programs of $5000 per property (PID) does not apply to this program.
Commercial and Farm Rebate Amounts
- $350 per installed kilowatt not to exceed 40% of total installed cost to a maximum of $10,000
The maximum grant limit for all efficiencyPEI programs per property (PID) does not apply to this program.
Steps to Apply
If you are interested in financing for the up-front costs of solar, learn more about the energy efficiency loan program.
- Confirm eligibility (see terms and conditions on application form).
- Select an approved efficiencyPEI solar PV installer from the Network of Excellence.
- Complete the application form and send it to efficiencyPEI with your most recent electric bill. Incomplete information may delay your rebate.
- Wait for your letter of acceptance before beginning any work.
- Collect dated sales receipts showing work completed and submit original copies of dated receipts (see Contact below).
Where can I find a list of contractors that offer solar electric rebates?
View the list of contractors that offer solar electric rebates. You can search for a contractor by name or by the service they provide or you can view a list of contractors by county or by program by selecting an option from the "County" and "Program" fields.
Send your completed application and receipts by mail to:
69 Belvedere Avenue, Suite 1 B01
PO Box 2000, Charlottetown
PEI C1A 7N8
or drop off in-person to:
- 69 Belvedere Avenue, Charlottetown;
- 120 Heather Moyse Drive, Summerside; or
- any Access PEI location
This incentive program is cost-shared with the Government of Canada under the Low Carbon Economy Leadership Fund.