Key Contacts for Your School and Education System

Your child’s education, safety and well-being is important to the teachers and staff of your child's school as well as to all those in the public school system of PEI. Staying in touch, asking questions and heading off issues before they become big problems are ways to build strong relationships.

Search public schools to find your school and its website.

Establishing good communication with your school

At the start of the school year, gather the information below and keep it on hand. Your child's teacher will send some of this information home during the first week of school.

  • school telephone number and school administrative assistant name
  • Home and School Association or school council president name, telephone number, e-mail address and social media address
  • teacher and principal e-mail addresses
  • school website address

Many schools update websites regularly, some teachers maintain blogs and many home and school associations have social networking sites. Ask your child's teacher if there is a preferred way to communicate with each other and about other resources that may be useful.

Who do I approach when I have concerns?

  • The first person to talk to is your child’s teacher. You can talk to your child’s teacher about things like homework, academic needs, extra help, absences from school, and how to get help if your child is having emotional or physical challenges at school.
  • If you need extra help or have general questions, your school principal and school office staff are there to help. Contact the school office for things like school registration, accessing the school after hours for community events and school transcripts.
  • If you still have unanswered questions or you feel your questions cannot be answered by the principal, reach out to the Public Schools Branch or La Commission scolaire de langue française.
The Public Schools Branch will answer questions handled previously by the English Language School Board.

Who do I contact about bullying?

Report any incidents of bullying to your school principal.

Where can I learn more about health or social services that may help my child do better in school?

Talk to your child’s teacher, guidance counsellor, resource teacher or administration to find out what help is available.

Student well-being teams work in several families of schools across the province to advise, consult and provide direct service to children and youth who are struggling with mental, social and physical health issues.

If your child is struggling at school, an undetected vision problem may be to blame. Eye See Eye Learn provides one free eye exam and one free pair of glasses, if required, during the kindergarten year.

Who can I contact for help for my child with special needs?

If you think your child needs additional support, such as an educational assistant, discuss this with your child’s teacher or principal. He or she can direct you to available resources and student services

How do I know how my child is doing in school?

An open conversation with your child’s teacher is important. There are also parent-teacher interviews throughout the school year. If you have a student in grade 7 to 12, StudentsAchieve is an online application to keep track of your child’s attendance as well as test and assignment grades.

How do I find out more about what my child is learning in school this year?

All curriculum material is provided by your child's school. Learn more about curriculum outcomes and guides by grade and provincial assessments from this website too.

If my child is going to be absent from school, what do I need to do?

Tell your child’s home room teacher or the school office and ensure your child gets caught up on missed learning when upon return.

How will I know when school is cancelled or delayed?

In the event of bad weather, school cancellations are broadcast on local radio stations and posted on the Public School Branch website.

I am a newcomer to Canada. Who do I call to register my child for school?

If you are a resident of PEI, contact your local school to register. If your child is learning English or French as an additional language, our EAL/FAL team is here to help.

Community resources

I’m having some challenges as a parent. Where can I get help?

Everyone needs a little help sometime. Triple P Parenting is offered in communities across PEI at little or no cost.

Strongest Families provides high quality, timely, no cost mental health care for Prince Edward Island children and youth and their families. The program is free and delivered online and through telehealth services.

211 is an information and referral service available to support all Islanders. Whether you are a newcomer looking to settle into a community or in need of after-school care or financial assistance, 211 will help connect you to community and social services across Prince Edward Island.

Published date: 
July 26, 2022
Education and Early Years

General Inquiries

Department of Education and Early Years
Holman Centre
Suite 101, 250 Water Street
Summerside, PE C1N 1B6

Phone: 902-438-4130
Fax: 902-438-4062