Women's Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services
The Women’s Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services provides reproductive and sexual health care to Islanders of all genders, orientations and ages at various sites across PEI. To access safe, confidential and supportive services, call 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free).
What services are offered?
Sexual health services include:
- Sexual health education and counselling;
- Sexually transmitted infection screening and treatment;
- Birth control counselling and prescriptions;
- Pregnancy counselling, testing and support; and
- Abortion services (medical abortion and surgical abortion).
Reproductive health services include:
- Prenatal care for individuals without a primary care provider;
- Menopause counselling and care for individuals without a primary care provider;
- Maternal (perinatal and postpartum) mental health services;
- Pregnancy loss counseling; and
- Pap/pelvic exams.
Over the coming months coordination of fertility services will also be offered.
Will I need a referral?
No. You can book all services yourself, including abortion services and IUD insertion. Call 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to make an appointment or to speak a staff member.
Please note: If you call and there is no answer; please leave your name and number. When a staff member returns your call, your telephone caller ID will indicate a ‘Private Number’.
What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?
- Identification: All patients and support persons need to provide a photo ID. Patients will also be required to have a valid PEI Health Card.
- Information: You may also be asked about your personal health history and medications you are currently taking. If you are taking medications, bring them with you or bring an up-to-date list of your medications [PDF | 609 KB], including over the counter vitamins or supplements.
- Support Person: You can bring a support person who may accompany you to your appointment, but they may be asked to sit in the waiting area in certain circumstances. Please talk to a staff member to learn about your options.
What other women’s health services are offered by Health PEI?
- Pap Screening and Cervical Cancer Prevention – Regular pap tests can reduce your risk of cervical cancer. A pap test can detect changes in the cells of your cervix early. If you are 21 years of age or older and are sexually active, it is recommended to have a pap test every two years.
- Breast Cancer Screening – Regular breast screening can detect breast cancer at an early stage. A mammogram is recommended for individuals aged 40-75 who:
- have never had breast cancer;
- do not have symptoms such as a breast lump, puckered skin, rash or nipple discharge;
- have not had a mammogram in the last 12 months;
- do not have breast implants; or
- have a parent or sibling with breast cancer.
How can I get screened?
- Call 1-888-592-9888 to schedule a mammogram.
- If you have questions, call the mammography department at:
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital: (902) 894-2915 or (902) 894-2924; or
- Prince County Hospital: (902) 438-4570
Who can I contact for more information?
Women’s Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services
Prince County Hospital
65 Roy Boates Avenue
Summerside, PE C1N 2A9
Telephone: 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free)