Women's Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services
The Women’s Wellness Program provides reproductive and Sexual Health Services to Islanders of all genders, orientations and ages at various sites across PEI. To access safe, confidential and supportive services, call 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free).
What services are offered?
Sexual health services include:
- Sexual health education and counselling;
- Sexually transmitted infection screening and treatment;
- Birth control counselling and prescriptions;
- Pregnancy counselling, testing and support; and
- Abortion services (medical abortion and surgical abortion).
Reproductive health services include:
- Prenatal care for women without a primary care provider;
- Menopause counselling and care for women without a primary care provider;
- Bleeding in early pregnancy;
- Maternal (peri-natal and post-partum) mental health services; and
- Pregnancy loss counseling.
Over the coming months, fertility services will also be offered through the Women’s Wellness Program.
Will I need a referral?
No. You can book all services yourself, including abortion services and IUD insertion. Call 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free) to make an appointment or to speak a staff member.
Please note: If you call and there is no answer; please leave your name and number. When a staff member returns your call, your telephone caller ID will indicate a ‘Private Number’.
What do I need to bring with me to my appointment?
- Identification: All patients and support persons need to provide a photo ID. Patients will also be required to have a valid PEI Health Card.
- Information: You may also be asked about your personal health history and medications you are currently taking. If you are taking medications, bring them with you or bring an up-to-date list of your medications [PDF | 609 KB], including over the counter vitamins or supplements.
- Support Person: You can bring a support person who may accompany you to your appointment, but they may be asked to sit in the waiting area in certain circumstances. Please talk to a staff member to learn about your options.
What other women’s health services are offered by Health PEI?
- Pap Screening and Cervical Cancer Prevention – Regular pap tests can reduce your risk of cervical cancer. A pap test can detect changes in the cells of your cervix early. If you are 21 years of age or older and are sexually active, it is recommended to have a pap test every two years.
- Breast Cancer Screening – Regular breast screening can detect breast cancer at an early stage. A mammogram is recommended for women aged 40-75 who:
- have never had breast cancer;
- do not have symptoms such as a breast lump, puckered skin, rash or nipple discharge;
- have not had a mammogram in the last 12 months;
- do not have breast implants; or
- have a parent or sibling with breast cancer.
How can I get screened?
- Call 1-888-592-9888 to schedule a mammogram.
- If you have questions, call the mammography department at:
- Queen Elizabeth Hospital: (902) 894-2915 or (902) 894-2924; or
- Prince County Hospital: (902) 438-4570
Who can I contact for more information?
Women’s Wellness Program & Sexual Health Services
Prince County Hospital
65 Roy Boates Avenue
Summerside, PE C1N 2A9
Telephone: 1-844-365-8258 (toll-free)